WordPress is hands down the most popular CMS in the world. One of the main reasons why people love it so much is the fact that you can build and customize a site however you’d like without having to know how to code.
There are plenty WordPress page builders out there which are designed to help WP site owners change the page layouts and create a beautiful look for them.
So if you’re looking for a convenient and easy way to customize the look of your site, then you’ll find page builders extremely helpful.
Why Use WordPress Page Builders
These drag and drop builders have become hugely popular. Here are the top reasons why:
- They can be used by people who don’t have any coding knowledge. There are a lot of site owners who don’t want to hire a web developer or a web designer to build their site. Drag and drop builders are perfect for those who want to do it themselves.
- They are incredibly easy to use. All the WordPress page builders are pretty straightforward to use thanks to their (you guessed it) drag and drop functionality. You can rearrange, add or delete any element on a page, such as boxes, headings, images, galleries, toggles, tabs and more.
- They help you save time. As a site owner, page builders help you save a lot of time because you can change page layouts anytime you want in just a few clicks.
- They provide a lot of options. You can find plenty of page builders, and they are usually incorporated in free or premium plugins. Premium themes have more complex features, but you can work your way with free themes as well, especially if you’ve just started working on your site.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the most popular WordPress page builders on the market.
Divi Builder already has over 400,000 customers, and one of the aspects that makes it so popular is the fact that it is compatible with any theme.
The tool provides endless layout options thanks to its three section types, 20 row types, and over 46 content modules. Moreover, you can customize each element in just a few clicks with the advanced design settings, so that the colors, spacing, and typography will match your brand.
Here are the other amazing controls Divi Builder provides so that you can build beautiful websites:
- Create advanced column structures;
- Duplicate, copy, paste any element in a single click;
- Hide any element on the front end;
- Disable editing functions for any element;
- Organize the layout by collapsing sections;
- Undo or redo any action;
- Layout spacing control;
- Add custom CSS;
- Create and save page layouts to the Divi library;
- Repeat the same item on all your pages by saving it as a Global item.
As you can see, Divi Builder has a lot of functionalities that can help anyone build their website however they’d like.
They have a yearly plan which costs $89 and a lifetime plan valued at $249. The great thing is that you don’t get only the builder for this price. You also get access to Divi, Bloom, Monarch, and other themes they will create during the membership (for the yearly plan) or in the future (for the lifetime one).
Visual Composer is probably the most well-known WordPress page builder on the market. One of the main reasons is because many premium themes include it.
Similar to Divi Builder, it can be used in conjunction with any WordPress theme.
Let’s see what features it offers when it comes to building your site:
- Intuitive front end and back end WordPress editor, which allows you to create responsive pages;
- Access to 50 built-in content elements, 200 add-ons, 80 pro looking templates, support for 3rd party plugins;
- Offers 40 predefined grid element styles, content elements, and multiple grid options (works great with WooCommerce);
- Tweak any element to make it correspond to your brand’s identity. You can even use custom CSS to do this;
- Define element presets and apply them in one click;
- Access to the template library which has free premium quality layout templates. There is no download limit for this;
- (for developers) Add your shortcodes right in your functions.php file.
You can get Visual Composer at the price of $34 for regular use, or pay $170 for extended use.
The only downside for this builder would be the fact that, if you decide to stop using it, you’ll have to weed out all the shortcodes it adds in your pages.
Did you know that approximately 300k websites have been built using Beaver Builder? Beaver comes not just with the page builder, but with a framework theme as well.
On their website, they say that it can be used both by WordPress users and web professionals.
Here are the main features it offers:
- Unlimited site licenses for any plan;
- Access to beautiful design templates or you can make your own from scratch;
- You can export the templates on other websites you’re working on;
- Complete control on how you position your text and images with the drag and drop function;
- Switch between themes without losing your content;
- If you stop using the builder, the content will be transferred in the WordPress editor;
- It’s developer friendly – you can customize it by using widgets or the custom module boilerplate;
- Compatible with WooCoomerce.
Beaver Builder has a plan for anyone, depending on your needs. The prices start at just $99, and they go up to $399 for the Agency plan.
Compared to the other builders, Site Origin is completely free. Anyone can download it from the WordPress directory or directly from the Site Origin site.
At the moment, it has more than 1 million installs.
Here are the main features:
- Works with any theme;
- You can use WordPress widgets with the builder;
- Clone pages or insert prebuilt layouts from your theme;
- Undo any mistake you made;
- The live editor helps you edit the content in real time;
- Create row and widget styles, change paddings, spacings, and borders;
- Use custom CSS to do more advanced changes;
- Provides a Widget Bundle, which includes everything from buttons to maps and sliders;
- Lifetime updates are included.
Site Origin has nearly all the features you would need in a builder. It’s perfect for those of you who haven’t tried a WordPress page builder before, especially because it’s free and you don’t have anything to lose.
Elementor is a free page builder that has almost 2 million downloads and over 200,000 installs.
It’s easy to use, open source, and no coding skills are required.
Here are its major features:
- Easy to use interface thanks to its live form editor;
- Customize sections, resize columns, adjust padding and margin settings, change gaps between columns;
- Access to a wide variety of templates. This also lets you save your design, or export it to other sites;
- Get a complete package of widgets, such as Carousel, Google maps, and many others;
- Customize the widgets and use 3rd party ones;
- Allows you to preview the screens so you’ll have responsive design for all your pages;
- Can be used by developers as well. It’s open source, supports languages, RTL pages, translation plugins, and you can create custom CSS.
You can use Elementor free, or you can choose one of their plans, which start at $49 per site for one year. Each license allows you to use the builder for an unlimited period of time, but if you don’t decide to renew, you will stop receiving updates and support after one year.
Elementor Pro includes even more features than the ones covered in the free version.
There’s A WordPress Page Builder For Everyone
If you want to build a beautiful WordPress website in a couple of hours or so, then page builders are the answer.
What’s even better is that you don’t need to have technical skills or know how to do web design. You just need to know how to drag and drop.
We hope that this comparison will help you find the page builder that’s right for you.
Have you had any experience with WordPress builders before? Let us know down in the comments.
Latest posts by April (see all)
- First 5 Actions You Can Take to Improve Your WordPress Site - October 25, 2018
- The Best Social Media Sharing Tools for WordPress - October 23, 2018
- How to Run a Successful eCommerce Blog - October 19, 2018